Hi, I’m Catherine Kelaher and I’m the author of Amanda the Teen Activist. I’m also the founder of NSW Hen Rescue, an Australian charity that liberates, rehabilitates and rehomes ex-battery hens and other factory farmed animals.
I’m a dedicated vegan and I believe that being kind is one of the most important things anyone can do. I like to volunteer for organisations like Animal Liberation NSW and received the Elsie Quinn Courage Award for my work as an animal activist in 2012 and Volunteer of the Year award 2013.
I’ve always loved writing and telling stories. I completed a degree in English Literature and Creative Writing at Kingston Upon Thames University.
Just like Amanda Cotter, I was born and raised in England but unlike Amanda I came to live in Australia by choice. I married a handsome Aussie called David, met some awesome animal activists and started saving animals.
Here’s 12 things you may not know about me..
- I am a HUGE fan of the Aussie soap, ‘Neighbours.’ I look forward to watching it everyday and feel sad at the weekends when it’s not on. I started watching with my mum in 1985 (I was two).
- I love Zumba. If there is music on I am happy to do Zumba moves in public. The sillier the better. My signature move is the shoulder wiggle.
- I love vinegar. I keep a bottle in the car in case I get hot chips when I am out and about. What if they don’t put enough vinegar on in the chip shop? I have been known to drink it straight.
- I have 3 things I do when I want to get some writing done. If I don’t do these I am the worst procrastinator in the history of the world. The 3 things are planning out a 1-3-5 to do list the day before, using the Pomodoro method and using the Write or Die app.
- I have 2 tattoos and 1 of them is a lower back tattoo I got when I was 17. I just wanted one because Geri Halliwell had one. My lower back tattoo is a lizard called Billy Bob Thornton. He may look daggy, but I love him. My BFF got a bird tattoo on her hip at the same time and named him Gary Barlow. Yup, we’re cool.
- Me (34), my brother, Adam (23) and my sister, Amanda (38) were all born 10 days late on a Sunday.
- My favourite song to sing is, ‘I Just Can’t Wait to Be King’ from The Lion King. Sometimes I sing it to myself repeatedly on long car journeys.
- I get horrible motion sickness. David and I love whale watching, but we watch them from a cliff as when I have attempted it on a boat I can barely keep my eyes open from sickness.
- I once fostered 6 piglets who were liberated from a factory farm. They were meant to go to their new home the next day, but the adopter cancelled. They stayed with us for 6 weeks in our suburban, rented house and garden whilst we tried to sort out a new home.
- I always had a feeling that one day I would find an abandoned bunny when I was walking. Then in 2012 I found an abandoned bunny when I was walking. He is called Billy Bunny.
- I usually like pop music and hate most Dad Rock, but I have been to see Bruce Springsteen 3 times in concert… and loved it.
- I have a baby turkey on my head as I write this.
Check out NSW Hen Rescue at http://henrescue.org to find out more about my liberation work.